This is a great question and the answer I give is usually not what most people want to hear. They want to hear what is the magic bullet? Basically saying what is the easy path. Before I give you the secret you first need to define what is success. It has many faces, but I have found that true success for me starts with the following in this order.
1) Understanding there is a higher power God and without him you will never be truly happy.
2) You have to be happy with yourself.
3) Great relationships with spouse.
4) Great relationships with children.
4) Great relationships with family of choice.
5) Money which buys things! Of course this starts with just having enough to pay bills, food, etc. The stress caused from this is many times self inflicted by over spending!
Ok lets answer the question about success. Here is a great quote from leadership expert Keith Craft that spells it out. “The secret of acquiring the best of everything and receiving the best from anybody begins with YOU being the BEST YOU possible.” Well there it is the secret to success! Be the best You possible and the rest will begin to fall into place. People always ask me why the people they have recruited on their teams are not doing this or that… It always starts with you! Be the example of always improving, having a positive attitude no matter what, leading by serving, helping others with no expectation of return, loving others the way they need to be loved ( not the way you need to be loved ) . This will bring you success 100% of the time because it will bring you personal happiness, fulfillment and direction. It all starts there… I can tell you many stories of miserable wealthy people! Money does not buy happiness it buys stuff. Yes like everyone I would rather have it than not have it, but it will not fill the void in you heart!
Focus on being the best you. Like all worth while projects it will take time. Just get started taking one step at a time and you will be amazed who you become and also amazed how your world will change!